Friday, February 11, 2011

Hippies

A subject which meant nothing to me, but after my recent vacation to what you can call the “hippie mecca” of southern Africa, it has become very apparent that it is a thriving community. Although by saying that I mean a thriving society of bumbling idiots who can barely function on a normal level.


Always stoned or high on some kind of hallucinogenic drug which allows them to fulfil their childhood dream of actually being able to see and talk to their imaginary friend. This is the madness I am talking about, people that live for the next high or hit, that can’t get through a day without it, where your goal in life is to roll a fat spliff that night.

Why I mention this is because we should all be envious of the way these ‘hippies’ live. I can hear your thoughts screaming ‘TREE HUGGER’ or ‘you obviously are still smoking something’ but it’s not like that. These guys live in the ‘here and now’ and have no other goal in life other than being happy. I’m not saying you should resort to drugs, I’m saying strive to be happy, in the present.

To them it doesn’t matter how you look, what you wear, if your hair is combed, if you brush your teeth, if you are actually funny or not, if you are a hypocrite, if you are rich, if you only eat organic vegetables or whatever you can think of that matters in the modern world. To them you are accepted, just the way you are, or want to be.

You could live off the land, or shop from a supermarket, you could buy ice-cream from the gay guy next door and nobody would judge you. It just doesn’t matter! All that matters is that you are happy, that you have food and that you are high.

No internet. No cell phones. No TV to show you how backwards the world has gone since you left it, just the outdoors, your homemade ice-cream and some doob. I went away and all was ok, I come back and Egypt has erupted into a full blown riots and war. It brings new light to the saying ignorance is bliss. Even though it doesn’t affect me, it’s nice not knowing about it.

With all that being said, I’m glad to be back in civilization with internet and clean shops, where gay guys are still ridiculed and ice cream comes in packets.

No comments:

Post a Comment